characteristics of the 76.6 million Millennials, age 16-31:
- Brand loyalty among Millennials is strong overall. 70% feel that once they find a company or product they like, they keep coming back, and 80% take action for brands they trust. But it's very difficult to win them back after a bad experience: 14% say definitely that once a brand has lost their trust and respect, the brand can never regain it. ("8095 Exchange: Millennials, Their Actions Surrounding Brand and the Dynamics of Reverberation" Edelman)
- Millennials feel personally responsible for making a difference in the world. 83% will trust a company more if it is socially/environmentally responsible, 74% are more likely to pay attention to a company's marketing when they see that the company has a deep commitment to a cause, 89% are likely or very likely to switch from one brand to the next if the company has a deep commitment to a cause. (AMP Agency)
- Millennials are not tolerant of social media marketing. While over half liked checking out brands on social media sites (compared with just over a third of older adults), 30% thought it was annoying for brands to be on sites like Facebook and Twitter. ("American Millennials" survey, Barkley)
- Millennials believe they deserve more attention from brands because they have a strong influence on their parents' spending. More than half (51%) say they influence the technologies their parents adopt and 41% say they influence the products they buy. (Study by InSites Consulting and MTV).
- Millennials are obsessed with communication. 80% sleep with their cell phone in their bed (Millennials, a Portrait of Generation Next, PEW)Source: