Tuesday, August 21, 2018

VINCENT P O C S I K

DESIGN SCENE ART: Exclusive Interview With Sculptor Vincent Pocsik

By  | 0 Comments
48SHARES
American artist VINCENT POCSIK sits down for an exclusive interview with DESIGN SCENE Editor KATARINA DJORIC to talk about his beginnings, architecture and art, as well as current and upcoming projects.

ART

Read more after the jump:
What made you switch from architecture to sculpture?My transition to sculpture came from making my first sculptural piece of furniture. I realized within that process what I was missing before. There was a direct connection between my hands and the materials I was using which became very important to me. I come from a blue-collar background of people who have used their hands for many centuries. In architecture I was only using a computer and not satisfying a part of what has been passed on to me, which is the understanding of touch. Once I understood I needed this, there was really no turning back.
Tell me about your newest series On the Meridian.
On The Meridian is inspired by the idea of empathy. Empathy to me requires sitting on the border, rather then being on either side of it. In this case, on one side there is figuration and art, and on the other side there is pure geometric form and function. The work tries to sit on the wall between these, recognizing the differences but knowing there is no need to choose a side.
What was the process for creating these works?My process is started by looking for inspiration in the day to day. I am fascinated by both anatomy and nature. I try and surround myself with this and take notice to it every day. Luckily living in California there is no shortage of people or nature! Once I have the inspiration, I then move to sketching which then leads me to the long process of creating the actual work.
You’re based in Los Angeles. How would you characterize the art scene there?I would say that it is growing rapidly and has incredible potential. I think that the art scene was lacking greatly in the past, but it is finally starting to become something really interesting. I think a lot of amazing artists that were working here over the last 10-30 years are finally getting their due and this is leading the way for the younger artists on a more paved road. It really seems like we are in a moment and or coming into one.
Can you share a bit about the creative process, inspirations and materials you use?
To add on to what I was saying before: Once I am done sketching, I like to dive into painting with watercolors and modeling a bit in clay. I have been using watercolors more lately in my sketches to free up some of my movements, which naturally creates new forms for me. After I have a good idea in the sketchbook and clay, then I will move into 3D on the computer and slowly develop it from there before I move into the actual material which I will carve.
How important are social connections and personal relationships in developing a successful career as an artist?
I would say a lot more important than I would like to admit to myself.
What are you working on right now? Is there a project you are currently obsessed with?
I am currently working on a continuation of my “On the Meridian” series which is a sub-series focusing on human torsos which are overlaid on to pure geometric form.
What is the first artwork you ever sold?
An organic cast concrete bench, the form kind of looked like to manatees laying on top of each other.
Who is your favorite living artist? What work of art do you wish you owned?
I really like Christian Rex van Minnen and wish I owned a bunch of his works.
Where would you want your career to be in 10 years?
I would like to be moving into doing larger sculptures at a public scale.
Keep up with Vincent Pocsik @vincentpocsik on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

woutkok@yahoo.com
,
wouter.liekens@cherto.be